Old March 28th 06, 08:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Oyster weirdness

M J Forbes wrote:
Incidentally, I'd like to salute the genuises at FGW and/or Major
Stations who decided to install barriers at Paddington without Oyster
readers...

Are the gated platforms at Paddington (only 2-5 off the top of my
head) ever used by anything other than trains that run non-stop to
Reading?

I used to catch a very late train back to Ealing Broadway which
occasionally departed from one of the "main" platforms (quite often 3).
However, as Oysters aren't valid on FGWL, is there any need for
readers on these platforms anyway?

Yes there is: Oyster travelcards are valid on FGWL within the zonal
boundary, even though Oyster Prepay is not.

(I've also been on a direct FGWL to Reading with an Oyster travelcard
plus bz6-Reading extension before now, which is admittedly a minority
pursuit).

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org