Old March 30th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Anti-bike signs on Bendibuses

Colin Rosenstiel wrote in
:

In article . 170,
(Adrian) wrote:

So, perhaps, just maybe, the cyclist could *wait behind the bus* at
lights? Or is there some secret reason that I "wouldn't understand,
and should try some time" as to why that can't happen?

Given how much better a cyclist's standing start acceleration is than
that of a bus, why should they? When I wait beside or in front of a
bus at lights I am always well across the junction before the bus
gets near me.

Maybe if I drove a ****-hot sports car, capable of 0-60 in 2 seconds, I
should be allowed to go to the head of the queue as well for the same reason
;-)

I take your point about acceleration, but one of the problems that letting
cyclists go ahead causes is that although their 0-10 mph times may be better
than a bus, they cannot sustain that to the speed limit of the road (eg 30
mph), so any powered vehicle will only need to overtake them on the far side
of the junction.