Old March 30th 06, 10:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Euro Star

Colin Wilson wrote:

Now about my "lost" train (which went to Kennsington Olympia) how
often does that happen?

Not very often, I should think, but some comments on your original
description may be of interest:

The last time I travelled on Euro Star the train from Paris to London
managed to get lost "somewhere in Southern England". We came back
into London via Brixton

Not sure what you mean by "managed to get lost". The normal Eurostar
route is via Brixton.

and then went to Kensington (Olympia)!

That suggests a problem between Brixton and Waterloo. Olympia is the
usual alternative terminus if Waterloo can't be reached.

Some people decided that they wanted to get off there as it would
have been convenient for them but the train doors remained locked
shut. The Tannoy said that this was because there was no customs
facilities at Olympia.

I think that customs staff will go to Olympia if they get enough notice
of a diversion.

Why this would have mattered heaven only knows as we had gone thru
all the formalities for both French and English customs in Paris.

No, you went through French and British immigration controls at Gare du
Nord, then had the opportunity to buy things in the departure lounge
which British Customs might conceivably be interested in. I assume
that's one reason why the Customs check is at Waterloo, though it's
always an extremely nominal affair.

--
Richard J.