Old March 30th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
eastender eastender is offline

Default Euro Star

It is still too difficult to plan international rail trips on the
basis of price rather than departure time. The idea that passengers
might be willing to wait an hour and pay half the price, rather than
see the full price and then trawl the web to book a plane instead, is
only just getting through.

Hmmm... the way they really get you is if you turn up on spec as I did
at the Gare du Nord recently for the last train back to London. I had a
hour - but there was only one desk open for standard class and people
buying tickets not for that train. With 10 mins to go it was obvious I
wasn't going to get on so I was forced (along with several others) to
buy a business class fare (320 euros one way) to get home. Lots of staff
naturally milling around the business class positions but no
communication whatsoever with the irate queue.

Can't fault the on-board staff or the dinner. And yes, the train did
break down (for 15 mins).

E.