Old March 31st 06, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Euro Star

Phil Richards wrote:
I guess it's *possible* to carry over 3,200 cigarettes, 90 litres of
wine and 10 litres of spirits onto the train with you, but I'd suggest
this doesn't happen very often...

You might not be able to get away with that much as it well exceeds your
"luggage" allowance. That is one of the reasons why Eurostar don't offer
much cheaper returns from London (or Ashford) to Calais or Lille as they
simply don't want to get into the business of those simply out on cheap
booze runs to France for the day.

Why not, if it fills up otherwise-empty space? If they're worried about
lairy chavvery, they could put the cheap tickets' compulsory reserved
seats all in the same coach, segregated from wealthier pax...

I'd suggest the reason they don't offer much cheaper returns is related
to the reason it took them 10 years to become the default means of
London - Paris/Brussels travel - although E* has some superb kit and
decent reliability, the management don't understand how to attract
passengers or make money.

E* is a route which would be ideally suited to a more adventurous fares
policy, like Virgin's. At the moment, peak tickets are too cheap and
off-peak tickets too expensive either to serve any useful social goal
or to maximise profits...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org