Old September 18th 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ed Crowley Ed Crowley is offline

Default New Eurostar line from Waterloo

"Stevie" wrote in message
.. .
Ed Crowley wrote:

I personally think that your suggestion would be more confusing and
inconvenient. I live south of the river and it already takes me 30

minutes
to get to Waterloo. I'd rather not spend another 30 minutes getting to

St.
Pancras.

Well everyone north of the river have had to put up with the cross
london journey to get to Waterloo for the last 10 years.

So your logic is to inconvenience South Londoners because North Londoners
have been in the past? Surely it's better to provide a convenient terminal
both sides of the river, given that cross-London interchanges are such a
pain in the arse (especially with luggage).

And the St Pancras route will be 20 mins quicker to Ashford than from
Waterloo.

Not if you live in South London with a 30 minute Tube journey added on!

Actually, I suspect the decision to keep both Waterloo and St Pancras
open was made just so that the SRA, or whoever runs the railways these
days, can make a big point of London having *two* International Train
stations...

I think it's to get value out of the existing Waterloo terminal, provide
another convenient interchange and to provide a backup in case of a problem
at St. Pancras.