Old April 2nd 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Cycling around Euston Road / King's Cross rant was Anti-bike

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Peter Frimberly) wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:09 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In a wide main road like Euston Road, a bendi-bus pulls in
regardless of cyclists riding where they should, close to the kerb.
They are then almost impossible to pass safely. I suggest you try it
sometime instead of pontificating.

Arguably anyone cycling along the Euston Road is asking for trouble,
given the bendy buses that use that road and the car and white vans
weaving about all over the place. There are plenty of much quieter
parallel roads to choose from for any cyclist that values their life,
even if a couple more junctions are involved and it takes a few
minuites extra!

Not between King's Cross station and Judd Street.

Now, if Argyle St (I think that's the name) allowed two way cycling
and a cycle route across the Euston Road were signalled it would be
easier but it would be too complicated for Camden to provide cycling
facilities that work in two directions, apparently.

I think this is going to get a lot better when Midland Road is reopened
- there'll be a route round the back of King's Cross, via Goods Way /
Pancras Road, then Midland Road, then straight across to Judd Street.
This all hinges on Midland Road being two-way, or at least having a
contraflow cycle lane, of course, and i've no idea if that will be the
case.

Not much use unfortunately for people arriving at King's Cross on trains
from Cambridge. As Cambridge is the UK's premier cycling city there are
not a few of us.

I have a cycling friend from Cambridge who occasionally comes down on the
train. We generally meet out the back, Cheney Road, i think it's called.
From there, you get out onto Pancras Road; we normally head south, and
then fight our way along Euston Road, but if Midland Road was available,
we could go north, under the railway on Pancras Road, and then south into
town along Midland Road. It adds a couple of hundred metres of distance,
but takes off a couple of hundred metres of riding on the Euston Road, so
it's a win in my book!

I have to say, this whole area is mind-buggeringly awful for cyclists.
Pretty much all the way from Copenhagen Street to Tavistock Place is
badly laid out and in an absolute state. I can only hope that much of
it is to do with the King's Cross works, and that things will get
better soon. Off the top of my head, things that need doing:

[snip]

I agree it's a mess. Is there any way of talking to anyone in charge of
sorting things out to discuss the needs of bikes? My worry is that once
the pedestrian subways are completed it will become almost impossible to
cross Euston Road to get to and from King's Cross. Taking away the
crossing outside the station concourse didn't help.

I haven't even a clue who's in charge of the KX project, let alone how one
might go about making representation to them - Network Rail run the
mainline station, TfL run the underground, GNER, Thameslink, WAGN and Hull
Trains have an interest, Union Rail are in charge of the CTRL-related
bits, the streets are Camden council's, except for the big ones which
might be TfL's, various individual buildings are owned by private property
developers, it's a big enough project that i imagine the GLA, LDA and DfT
all have fingers in the pie up to at least the second knuckle, the work's
being carried out by N contracting firms managed via M consultancies, and
i wouldn't be surprised if the Milk Marketing Board was involved somehow.
In fact, i think the very idea that there *is* anyone in charge might be
erroneous.

Perhaps LTUC would be the people to talk to. Actually, the LCC might be
even better.

tom

--
That must be one of the best things you can possibly do with a piglet,
booze and a cannon. -- D