Old April 4th 06, 12:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Waterloo & City Line Car Lift Operation

wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
They estimate nearly 14000 crane
lifts during the project (8000 coming out, nearly 6000 going in).

I hope most of these will be by the small fixed crane over the shaft,
and not a road crane.

I've only once seen that crane used; to lift out the bars with wheels
fixed to the ends which guided the new cars down the shaft. I see the
same things were fixed to the ends of the cars as they were lifted out.
I assume that it is used from time to time for lifting smallish items
into/out of the depot.

Where is the entrance for staff; other than going in by train?

There's a main entrance and driveway from Waterloo Road at the eastern
corner of the main station, parallel to the main platforms, or
perpendicular to the W & C..

Incidentally, the lifting stopped for a while on Saturday morning,
while the huge crane was used to take a kind of hood off the permanent
hoist. I guessed that maybe it was in the way or had been dangerously
dislodged.