Old April 4th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Another Oyster Query

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:54:35 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

That's a bit of a dilemma. I think the initial advice was a bit off the
mark - I'm not surprised the staff at Cockfosters were reluctant about it.

Yep - sounds like dodgy advice to me.

The only truly satisfactory solution seems to me to exchange your paper
Z1-4 travelcard for an Oyster version from a Tube station at the
earliest opportunity.

Is that even possible?

Failing that, the only alternatives are either to stump up for the cash
extensions, or to break your journey in order to touch in. Some places
may be easier to do this than others - it's worth remembering that at
least in the evenings and weekends, any non-Z1 fare is £1, so you could
touch in somewhere easy like Highbury & Islington (which has platform
validators next to the Victoria line platforms).

I think this is the real answer. You'll need to leave the train at any
station in Z4 (Mon-Fri 0700-1900) or any station in Z2-4 (all other
times), leave through the ticket barriers (if necessary) with your
Travelcard, and touch in with your Oyster card.

Elsewhere, you wouldn't have to necessarily leave the gateline, but
could touch your Oyster in on the side gate validator (probably getting
a strange look from the gate staff in the process).

I've done this a few times before. It seems that if the gate is open,
the validator works for entry or exit (as you might expect), but if
the gate is closed, it works for exit only (so if you're actually
'starting' the journey, you'll get an unresolved journey straight
away).