Old September 18th 03, 07:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Private roads

"IOOA" wrote in message

"HP" wrote in message

If you take a borough like Haringey then a large percentage of Road are

not
adopted roadways... all the estate Roads of Housing estate Roads built

after
1960 are private

You could be barred from using them, they are permissive roads only to

gain
access to Council Houses. If you buy a house on an estate the Council

grant
you specific rights of way over the estate roads

What is the legal position about cars that are abandoned and/or untaxed on a
private, unadopted road? Are they still classed as "the public highway" for
the purposes of needing a tax disc and for getting Police Aware stickers and
being towed away?

I ask this because a car was abandoned on the verge of my road which is
unadopted. Police enquiries (my next door neighbour is a policeman)
established that the car had not been taxed for at least five years (after
which time details apparently disappear off the PNC). We thought we were
going to have real problems but the car mysteriously vanished again and
hasn't been seen since. My neighbour wishes he'd seen it drive away because
he was dying to nick the driver for having no tax as soon as it got onto the
main road...