Old April 7th 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] patrick1971@gmail.com is offline

Default Covent Garden & Aldwych (was Mill Hill East)

Dave Arquati wrote:
The only feasible alternatives are Holborn and Leicester Square. As an
alternative to Covent Garden, Aldwych would be fairly useless, given the
slow access and egress, and its northbound orientation.

I also wouldn't separate point one (the effect on the rest of the line)
from point two. Trains that went to Aldwych wouldn't be able to go to
Covent Garden or Leicester Square, making overcrowding at those stations
worse. The solution to Covent Garden overcrowding is to increase
capacity at Covent Garden, not to reopen a station that would be of
little use to the majority of people heading to the area.

ISTR reading many years ago (1996 or so) that there was a plan for
escalators at Covent Garden. I'm pretty sure it was from an official
London Underground pamphlet about overall improvements to the
Piccadilly Line. I wonder why that never happened.

Patrick