Old April 8th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Mill Hill East

John Rowland wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Trains that went to Aldwych wouldn't be able to go to Covent Garden or
Leicester Square, making
overcrowding at those stations worse.

No. The bottleneck at Covent Garden is the lifts. Reducing train capacity
wouldn't make the crowding problems worse.

OK - but platform crowding levels (as opposed to overcrowding) would
increase, because a similar number of people to now would be waiting
longer for their trains. (I admit that overcrowding would not be worse.)

I'll revise my statement: crowding levels at Leicester Square would
certainly increase (potentially leading to overcrowding), as they would
at every station west thereof.

Running direct trains to Aldwych would have a detrimental effect on
Piccadilly line crowding at *all* stations - both to the west, where
frequency would drop from 30tph-ish by however many trains diverted to
Aldwych, and to the east, where passengers for stations beyond Holborn
would wait for a through train.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7