Old September 18th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.legal
df df is offline

Default Private roads

The Todal wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've seen a lot of signs recently declaring roads to be private. What

does
this mean?

It means that it is not adopted as a public highway by the local highway
authority (usually the local council) but is owned by the residents or the
freehold owner of the land where the houses have been built.

Am I allowed to drive down it?

Yes, unless there is a sign telling you "residents only" in which case you
would be trespassing but nobody would be likely to sue you because you

could
easily be visiting a friend who lives there. But if you regularly drove

down
it as a short-cut they might begin to notice you and take your number and
sue you.

But how can they trace your number if we are all protected on the data
protection act?

Near me, there is a private road where an electronic sign suddenly
lights up and displays your registration number, which is a bit unnerving.

Are you by chance near Moor Park?

daveF