Old April 8th 06, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberly Peter Frimberly is offline

Default Aldwych is at its most useful today!

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 00:39:23 -0000, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Dave Arquati:
The branch seems to be at its most useful now - as a film set. It
probably gains far more revenue for LU in its current job than it ever
did as a passenger branch.

Nigel Pendse:
What an excellent point, which had never occurred to me!

Well, but is it actually true?

Aldwych was already in use as a film set when it was a working station --
after all, it was the only genuine deep-level tube station with no trains
passing through it throughout every weekend. Is the demand for filming
really so great that 7-day availability makes a difference to revenue?

Didn't they used to hire it out several nights a week as a party venue
too? And I'm sure Stella Artois hired it for a week one year to show
some classic movies that were relevant to the underground, as part of
their Stella Screen campaign. Point is, I'm sure it's been used for a
lot more than just film shoots