Old April 8th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberly Peter Frimberly is offline

Default What are those new cameras springing up all over the place?

On 7 Apr 2006 05:28:41 -0700, "Neillw001"
wrote:

I've just been down to have look at the camera. Its basically as I
described it except the pole is a grey-green instead of just green.
There's a plate attached informing you its alarmed back to the police
in Central London. Two rectangular openings in the front of the box.
Pole is about twelve feet in height. I wonder if that has anything to
do with an attempt to stop vandalism?
Nearby is a grey-green box attached by some new tarmac in the path.
More new tarmac leads from that to the road where there are four
embedded lines that must be some sort of sensor. There's also the
standard speed camera road markings.
There are no other similar cameras in the area, neither are there any
camera warning signs preceeding it. The nearest cameras are standard
GATSOS about two miles away.
It seems a bit of a bizarre place to put a speed camera. The road limit
is 30mph, but it is not a fast road and while people no doubt exceed
the limit along that stretch at times there is no history of accidents
to justify such an installation. A lot of the time the congestion along
there is so bad it is difficult to reach the speed limit, let alone
exceed it. There are far more spots locally where cameras would be
justified in my opinion.

Neill

The one I saw and mentioned earlier in the thread has been
subsequently identified as a Monitron camera, capable of digitally
recording both speeding and red light offences, depending on siting
and configuration:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso12.htm

Last weekend the usual speed camera markings appeared on the road as
well, so mine is definitely for speeding. Mine also has the "alarmed
to police" sticker on it, and the actual camera head is bright yellow
unlike the one in the picture.

What's interesting is that this one near me has the piezo strips
buried in the road, but they're only on the side of the road that the
camera is on, so I wonder if persistent and regular speeders (who know
the road well) will just start to cut the corner and drive on the
wrong side of the road to it.

I am sure I heard on the radio news this morning a story about TfL
being busy installing 65-odd new speed cameras in London at the
moment, so I guess our examples are part of that program.