Old April 11th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default KX TUBE - replacement steps opening schedule?

jb wrote:
kytelly wrote:
The other weekend I was up at KX and was suprised too see the new steps
replacing the old ones in front of WH Smiths still haven't opened.
They look completely finished behind the hoarding so is the idea to
open everything in a big bang rather than incrementally?

I'm surprised there has been no comment on this post so far. I would
like to think that all sorts of frenzied activity is going on behind
the scenes at KX but to us, the public, the works seem to be
progressing at a snail's pace. The new stairs seem to have been on the
point of opening for months but presumably cannot do so until the
temporary ticket offices in front of them are decommissioned and
removed, and presumably that can't happen until the new ticket offices
down in the tube hall are ready. The only signs of recent progress here
are that the wraps have come off the counters and the chip 'n pin
machines within the last week.

I got rather confused heading to St Pancras at the weekend having not
been through it for a while - got off the Tube at KX and got to the
surface, and instinctively followed the first sign I saw pointing
towards St Pancras to the left - and walked straight into a dead end
around the corner (along with several other people).

I'd gotten used to following the signs as the route changed from time to
time. I presumed that the fact that the new sign pointed in that
direction meant that route would be opening soon (and replacing the
current exit to St Pancras)...

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7