Old April 11th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default RIP Wagn

Dave Plumb wrote:
Whilst that's true ... it would cost them the fare they'd otherwise make

I don't know how they'll combine the fare structure in the long run,
but if you've got a ticket from Hatfield then it makes no difference if
you take the bus, or go to St Albans and take the train. Or, it
shouldn't.

If they say tickets are valid on the Thameslink branch (During the
shutdown only, I'm not talking about using St Albans as and when you
please), it's only going to be existing ticket holders that will take
advantage of this offer. Anyone else will either buy a ticket and use
the bus, or go to St Albans and buy a ticket there (you wouldn't buy a
ticket at Hatfield/Potters Bar on the day THEN go to another station).

So, passing tickets wouldn't make much difference - other than to
create goodwill amongst season ticket holders, whether that be a 7 day,
30 day or annual ticket.

Bear in mind that the only time I've travelled on a weekend, I simply
told the guard at St Albans that there were no trains from Hatfield and
he let me through. I didn't actually lie did I?! It's possible you can
talk your way through, but it's potentially risky if you meet another
gripper between St Albans and the boundary (travelcard season ticket
holders). I came back in a car, so didn't have to try and get out of St
Albans using the same trick.

Jonathan