Old September 19th 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Russell Wykes Russell Wykes is offline

Default Waterloo And City

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , Terry Harper
writes
What's the colour of the original stock? Cream and brown like Clive
suggested? (I was remembering the post-war green ones).

Why cream and brown? It would either have been the LSWR or the SR, both

of
which used olive? green for their passenger carriages.

I googled for "LSWR colour" and got this:

http://home.planet.nl/~mhodson/rail3d/lswr.html

(which incidentally says there are no records of the colour of the first
W&C trains - which seems unlikely).

According to Southern Electric Multiple-Units 1898-1948 by Colin Marsden
published by Ian Allan, page 8;

"Coaches were of an all wood construction and painted in dark brown livery"

The book contains several interesting photos of the original stock and also
the replacement stock delivered in 1940. I imagine the book is long out of
print but copies might be knocking about in local libraries for any one
who's interested.

I hope this helps.

Russell