Old April 20th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Suitcase and backpack?

David J Bush typed

I'll be in London this August. At first I thought I'd take a cab to my
hotel.
then I read this might cost upwards of 50 pounds. The tube for 4 pounds
sounds better. I will probably get to Heathrow 1-2-3 central around 11 p.m.
on a Friday night. Are there likely to be many passengers at that time?
I'm hoping to be able to sit down with a suitcase between my feet and a
small day pack on my lap. Thanks.

You should be fine. There are usually enough people around for you to
feel safe, and few enough so you should be able to sit.

Piccadilly Line Tube trains have more space for luggage beside the doors
than other tube trains, so keeping your case between your feet may not
be a good idea.

Try very hard to get a Pay-As-You-Go Oyster card (which you can always
give to a friend who visits London) before you arrive, as the fares can
be *much* cheaper that way. (Though you can order online, I thing
foreign credit cards may be a problem.)

Where will your hotel be?

--
Helen D. Vecht: