Old April 20th 06, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David J Bush David J Bush is offline

Default Suitcase and backpack?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:14:20 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

|You should be fine. There are usually enough people around for you to
|feel safe, and few enough so you should be able to sit.
|
|Piccadilly Line Tube trains have more space for luggage beside the doors
|than other tube trains, so keeping your case between your feet may not
|be a good idea.
|
|Try very hard to get a Pay-As-You-Go Oyster card (which you can always
|give to a friend who visits London) before you arrive, as the fares can
|be *much* cheaper that way. (Though you can order online, I thing
|foreign credit cards may be a problem.)
|
|Where will your hotel be?

There is an excellent map of the Underground available online. I can
change to the District line at Acton Town, Hammersmith, Baron's Court,
or Earl's Court. I have to be sure to get on a train bound for Edgware
Road. Then I change again at Notting Hill gate to the Central line, and
get off at Queensway, which is closest to the Byron on Queensborough
Terrace. Or, if I'm feeling adventurous, I could just take the Piccadilly
line all the way to Holborn, then back west to Queensway.

Luggage next to the door? Okay if you say so- I was just worried about
leaving my luggage unattended, with all the security concerns these days.

An Oyster card sounds like an excellent idea. But I already bought a
"London Pass" which provides free use throughout zones 1-6 plus access
to a bunch of touristy stuff. I'll probably have to scramble around like
a madman to get my money's worth on that.

Having spent many hours playing the "Aldwych" level in Tomb Raider 3,
I was a little disappointed to not find it on the map. But I hear it still
exists and is being used as a movie set, is that right?

Thanks very much!