Old April 20th 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Zingo?

yped

Quite right, Helen. I know someone who quite simply cannot use the
Taxicard for which they qualify, as ComCabs do not frequent the area
they live in. Booking in advance doesn't help, as taxis are only
requested by the system a short time before the actual appointment
time, no matter how far in advance it is booked.

Been there, done that!

A good idea, badly let
down by the implementation. If only taxicards could be used on the
local, reliable minicab services. Now these are covered by the PCO,
they should be properly insured, and the drivers registered (and
without criminal records, AFAIK). I have great respect for black cab
drivers in the main, and there are some real gems out there, but they
seem to be let down by the appallingly designed and run system.

Sid.

The Taxicard scheme does cover minicabs in some boroughs, such as
Hillingdon, AFAIK.

I prefer to use a proper taxi, where possible: more space in the cab,
better standard of driver in terms of geograhical knowledge, road skills
and English language etc. Minicabs are rather more reliable in terms of
knowing how long I'm likely to wait and getting me there on time though.

I bear no malice to anybody but if I ring a minicab firm, they can tell
me if they have cabs free in the area. If they have none, I can (& do)
phone another firm. ComCab can't do that (and their control centre is in
Aberdeen, giving them no local knowledge...)

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.