Old April 20th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Suitcase and backpack?

In message of Thu, 20 Apr
2006 07:43:19 in uk.transport.london, David J Bush
writes
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:14:20 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

|You should be fine. There are usually enough people around for you to
|feel safe, and few enough so you should be able to sit.
|
|Piccadilly Line Tube trains have more space for luggage beside the doors
|than other tube trains, so keeping your case between your feet may not
|be a good idea.
|
|Try very hard to get a Pay-As-You-Go Oyster card (which you can always
|give to a friend who visits London) before you arrive, as the fares can
|be *much* cheaper that way. (Though you can order online, I thing
|foreign credit cards may be a problem.)
|
|Where will your hotel be?

There is an excellent map of the Underground available online. I can
change to the District line at Acton Town, Hammersmith, Baron's Court,
or Earl's Court. I have to be sure to get on a train bound for Edgware
Road. Then I change again at Notting Hill gate to the Central line, and
get off at Queensway, which is closest to the Byron on Queensborough
Terrace. Or, if I'm feeling adventurous, I could just take the Piccadilly
line all the way to Holborn, then back west to Queensway.

I would not advise using the map to choose such a route. The critical
thing with complicated journeys is the interchanges. The journey planner
may be better and can be found at
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en
The post code (precise zip code) - W2 3SH - is a better locator for that
software than anything to do with byron.

Luggage next to the door? Okay if you say so- I was just worried about
leaving my luggage unattended, with all the security concerns these days.

If it is within sight and sound, I would argue it is not unattended.
We have had about 30 years of terrorism and rarely bother about it.

An Oyster card sounds like an excellent idea. But I already bought a
"London Pass" which provides free use throughout zones 1-6 plus access
to a bunch of touristy stuff. I'll probably have to scramble around like
a madman to get my money's worth on that.

I found it at http://www.londonpass.com/. The "with transport" options
look expensive at first sight. However, the simplification may make it
worth while.

Having spent many hours playing the "Aldwych" level in Tomb Raider 3,
I was a little disappointed to not find it on the map. But I hear it still
exists and is being used as a movie set, is that right?

It has been so used. You can find the derelict-looking entrance on the
north side of the Strand just east of Waterloo Bridge. Doubtless,
someone else can be more precise about that.

Thanks very much!

London has many sorts of people including friendly, unfriendly and busy.
--
Walter Briscoe