Old April 21st 06, 05:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Zingo?

In message , Helen Deborah
Vecht writes
Mike Hughes typed

Taxicard business is a *very* low profit item for drivers. The 'run-ins'
are lower with little waiting charges and many represent a higher degree
of 'hassle' than just picking up off the street.

Wot, seldom drunk or abusive, £4 run-ins, usually ready to travel. Yeah,
right!

Getting out in the cold and rain to set up the ramp for wheelchair users
(many taxicard users), going into some very dodgy estates in some parts
of London and not knowing if your cab will come out in one piece. These
are all 'reasons' put forward by some drivers why they don't do Taxicard
work.

Of course the system is different in Central London to that in the
suburbs. In my experience the suburban taxicards seem to be given out to
those who are in genuine need while those in some central parts *appear*
to be quite able bodied.

Since it has been taken over by a
company who's prime objective is to make money for themselves there is
less incentive for drivers to do radio work in preference to street
work.

Drivers are all independent businessmen and not employees. What would
you do?

There aren't black cabs on the street much, here in the outer suburbs
and some of the cabbies seem to prefer radio work.

Quite. The outer suburbs used to be better served at night by ComCab
when they had the London Transport contract. This meant that there taxis
in all the outer areas where there are tube stations. Drivers do not
know beforehand what type of job it is and taxicard jobs were then
getting covered better. No one is going to wait in an outer area unless
there is a likelihood of getting a job.

Black cab ranks have been left deserted in some areas.

In central London, I can see the streets offer a better option.

I should have clarified my original posting which does of course refer
mainly to the central areas.

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England