Old April 28th 06, 07:55 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Ian Ian is offline

Default New camera scam

"John Rowland" wrote in message

The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle
box. This makes it noticeably harder to stop legally during the amber
phase. I don't see how the police can do this without lengthening the
amber phase to compensate, but even that doesn't really help. I think the
only fair solution is to remove the final stop line - since cyclists have
no license plates, the final stop line no longer serves any purpose except
to allow the prosecution of drivers who went through the meaningful
initial stop line during the amber phase, which will of course increase
scamera revenue, at the expense of large amounts of tax revenue when
professional drivers lose their licences in droves (drove being the past
tense of drive.... hehehe).

The amber phase is 3 seconds long. The distance between the motor vehicle
and bicycle stop lines is usually about 10 feet. If you are approaching the
lights at 30 mph that is 44 feet/sec. So we are talking about stopping a
quarter of a second earlier. If you have difficulty stopping at the correct
line you shouldn't be driving.

Ian