Old April 28th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london,uk.transport.buses
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Freedom passes unchecked

Tristán White wrote:
Is it illegal for busdrivers to question passengers' disability (or
apparent lack thereof) when fit young men get on and use their
orange Freedom Pass on London buses?

I am gobsmacked how I have never seen any of the young men
challenged ONCE over their card, which is blatantly in it's orange
"Freedom Pass" wallet, and which shows "F'DOM PASS" or something
like that on the display when swiped on the bus. I've been watching.

[snip]
But the fact of the matter is,
fraud is happening, and bus-drivers should not be forbidden (if
this is the case) of asking why an apparently mentally and
physically fit young man is using a freedom pass.

All the driver needs to do is to ask to see the photocard. The Freedom
Pass is not valid unless the photocard is carried with it and bears the
same name as the pass. Drivers should not, in my view, get involved in
questioning passengers about their disabilities.
--
Richard J.