Old April 29th 06, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default New camera scam

In message of Fri, 28 Apr 2006
11:28:35 in uk.transport.london, Walter Briscoe
writes
In message of Thu, 27 Apr 2006
23:51:48 in uk.transport.london, John Rowland
writes

The City Of London Police have announced that they will prosecute not only
drivers who go through the final stop line when the traffic light is reds,
but also drivers who go through the initial stop line before the cycle box.

Where? The nearest relevant URL I found is
http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/community/stoplines.html
That describes the rules but says nothing about new enforcement
policies. 'phone information confirms a new practice is being developed.
Leaflets - not yet ready - will publicise the campaign.
I await a call back from the relevant COLP person. When I find out
more, I will say.

I just spoke to the relevant P.C. who is on early turn.
There is a new leaflet explaining the rules. It seems it is similar to
http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/community/stoplines.html. It has
been distributed via the Public Carriage office and other places.

The rules will be enforced by constables in uniform on site.
The rules will NOT be enforced by camera - I regret that.

It seems there are 3 classes of vehicle which regularly ignore the
advanced stop line: taxis; motorcycles and buses.

The work is part of a campaign to reduce deaths and serious injuries to
cyclists in the city. There were 14 such casualties in 2005; 8 in 2003.
The Department of Transport target is less than 6.

COLP is also trying to educate cyclists. There is an educational
presentation at St. Paul's (outside M&S) between 11.00 and 15.00 on May
22-26. Ticketed cyclists will get a voucher to attend and the tickets
will be cancelled on attending a presentation.

I suggest the OP overstated the situation.
--
Walter Briscoe