Old April 30th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default East Putney to Clapham Junction

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:57:47 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message , Phil Clark
writes

And do SWT services via the District ever stop at any of the District
stations?

Signalling and power supply on the line are provided by National Rail
(the line was, I think, the first to be electrified by LSWR), but (and I
may be wrong) I don't think NR trains normally stop on the line these
days.

You are correct about the signalling and power. SWT have rights to use
the line for depot access and as a diversionary route in the event of a
mess up on the main line. However those rights are obviously very
limited given that LU needs to run the District Line.

AIUI there are no rights for SWT to serve any of the intermediate
stations on the section of track - even during an emergency diversion.
This makes sense as to do so would reduce track capacity when they would
actually wish to maximise the number of trains that could go via that
route while squashing in between District Line services.

There's also the problem now that they'd have to use the single track
connection to the Wandsworth Town line and cross all the tracks when
heading to Clapham, since the bridge fell down (or was demolished
before it did).

I tried to find a way on to the end of that bridge, but I couldn't.
The railing at the end of it suggests that there might be access such
that protection is needed, but it looks like the area enclosed by the
old curve will remain a wasteland until it's covered with "luxury
flats" or something.