Old May 1st 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default 'Weekend Tubes': decision on later start and finish times

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes

What I don't understand though is why they've stitched us up by half an
hour. Add half an hour at night, but a whole bleedin' hour in the
morning? Are they having a laugh?

Why don't they instead lose half an hour's maintenance work in the
morning, and simply employ more staff to get the jobs done quicker with
the revenue created from all those £3 single journeys created as people
take the tube home instead of a cab! :-))

They've added 30 mins to Friday and Saturday night services and then
start up Saturday services 1 hour later. They haven't touched Sunday
services which will still start at the same (later) time. Therefore 1
hour extra service = 1 hour later start, that way, engineering hours
remain the same albeit moved about slightly.

The problem with 'losing' engineering time as you suggest is that there
are only so many people you can fit into an area the size of a tube
tunnel to do any meaningful work. Anyway, most of the time is spent
with safety procedures starting and ending work - in reality only about
2 hours work gets done in any night for the (roughly) 3.5 hour
closedown.

I have lived in London for 10 years now - if I want to go out for the
night, I get the night bus home and have never used a cab. It's not a
problem and never has been, so why all the clamour to have a train
service running anyway?