Old September 21st 03, 06:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
William E. Aitken William E. Aitken is offline

Default Crossrail a poor buy?

Paul Weaver wrote in message ...
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:07:13 +0100, Colin wrote:
That was the first time around many years ago, where the project was killed
off by a committee of (mainly Tory) London MP's with a 'not in my back yard'
and anti-subsidy agenda.

Things have somewhat progressed since then.

What, you call people that live in Manchester or Wales subsidising the
transport needs of Londoners "progress". All government subsidy is the
most definitely anything but progress, but when you charge people that
have no benefit whatsoever, you become worse then Ken!

If taxpayers do have to subsidise it, it should come out the local taxes
of London business and commuters.

Given the degree to which London is the engine of the British economy,
I am deeply skeptical that the SouthEast is a net beneficiary of the
central treasury. On the contrary, if there any cross regional
subsidies, I strongly suspect that the flow of money is in the
opposite direction than the one you suggest. Do you have any
evidence that suggests otherwise?