Old May 5th 06, 03:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default Out boundary travelcard 'the wrong way' ?

In oups.com,
Larry Lard typed:

*But* I am in London, and I want to (in this order):

- pootle around London (lots)
- travel from London to Reading (once)
- travel from Reading to London (once)

all in one day. Readers will of course notice that this is the same
set of journeys, but in a different order. I have three questions:

1) Is a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC valid for this travel?

No. A Reading Travelcard is the same as a Day Return + Z1-6 ODTC. If
you did as you suggest, you would be using the Return portion before the
Outward - not allowed.

assuming it is, then:
2) Am I _allowed_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

assuming I am, then:
3) Will I be _able_ to buy a Reading to Z1-6 ODTC from
random_station_in_London?

Wrong assumptions. What you need to do is to buy your Z1-6 Travelcard
in the normal way PLUS a CDR or SDR from Z6 boundary to Reading (you
will have to do this at a National Rail station. The combined fare is
likely to be little different from the Reading Travelcard.

To go back to your questions 2 and 3, there is no reason that you
shouldn't be able to buy such a ticket from your 'random station' as
long as it is NR - but as it's not the right ticket there's no nedd to
test it out.

--
Bob