Old May 10th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Matthew P Jones Matthew P Jones is offline

Default Metropolitan Line

Wed, 10 May 2006 -
Matthew P Jones wrote:
The A stock is restricted to I believe 50mph owing to cracks in the
bogies.

The Chiltern services which share part of the track go faster. In the
past I am sure I saw sped signs for 70, but perhaps it is 60 now.

It's 50 for A stock, 60 for 165s and 168s. The only section posted at
70 is north of Amersham.

The potentially reduced seating of the S stock is a problem, as I
believe is the type of seat, it can be a long journey out to Amersham /
Chesham

At the moment no one seems to know what type of seating will be used in
the S stock for the long runs out to Amersham - current thinking is
that there will be a hybrid seating arrangement to cater for both types
of usage patterns.

Have not looked out of the window recently for speed signs, I am pretty
sure years ago there was 70 on the Met

With regards seating, I also heard the hybrid idea, but no one seems to
know. If they don't get it right, I think many people will be unhappy.
When the designed the A stock, they built prototypes to try out new
ideas. The coaches before A stock were compartments and the A stock was
a kind of compromise between a normal underground carriage and a
compartment stock coach.

--
Matthew P Jones - www.amersham.org.uk
My view of the Metropolitan Line www.metroland.org.uk - actually I like it