Old May 11th 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default New Deal for Oyster?!

Paul Terry wrote:
In message , Paul Corfield
writes

I'm just pleased to see some sort of progress at last. I'm curious to
know what strong arm tactics have been employed to get this deal
through.

A film clip on the news last night had Ken claiming that failure to
co-operate with Oyster would result in franchises not being renewed -
although quite what clout he has to back that up is not entirely clear
to me.

The deal involved the DfT so they are presumably willing to exercise
their powers to move things along.

On a slightly different tack, there is one part of this little saga that
has received little attention in the press:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05...tcard_shelved/

(TfL abandons plans to add e-payments for parking and goods to Oyster).

I wonder if that was a sweetener to help get the TOCs onside?

Would that have really bothered the TOCs?

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7