Old May 11th 06, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Oter Paul Oter is offline

Default New Deal for Oyster?!

Paul Terry wrote:
In message .com,
" writes

If barriers are going to be placed at all N.R. stations,

I don't think there's any proposal for barriers at all NR stations -
just Oyster validators.

I wonder if there is any way of making it more obvious to casual
travellers that when they arrive at a station by train they need to
search for a validator on the platform?

I arrived at New Cross Gate for the first time the other day, using the
East London Line, and having touched in with my pre-pay Oyster at a
tube station. There were crowds of people on the platform so I couldn't
have seen the platform validators even if I had thought of looking for
them. Though even if I had noticed them I would probably have thought
that they were intended only for people changing between Tube and NR at
that station.

As it was I assumed that since New Cross Gate was a big station there
would be exit gates and so I followed the crowds up the stairs and
along the passageway to the main concourse. I then discovered that
there were no gates or validators there. Rather than walk all the way
back to the platforms I decided to leave the station leaving an
unresolved journey on my Oyster.

Now I know that unresolved journeys are straightforward to fix at the
moment, but shouldn't LU/TfL do something to make it easier to know
when you need to look for and use a platform validator?

PaulO