Old May 11th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default New Deal for Oyster?!

On 11 May 2006 05:28:54 -0700, "Neil Williams"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

You still need a local network to provide the necessary info to and from
the devices and to support whatever retailing infrastructure is going to
be provided.

Can't these things use batch data transfer via GSM, or whatever the bus
version uses, to prevent a need to wire them all in permanently?

Possibly - I confess to being out of the loop re the latest comms
methods for this type of data transport. I thought the bus system was
via the driver module and the docking station at the garage. Last time
I looked the buses were not "live" within the Oyster system. It's
possible the new radio and AVL system may provide this capability.

I suspect GSM *might* run into compatibility issues with what is
proposed with GSM-R and the ERTMS developments. I'm more probably
talking twaddle though! Cue resident expert ........

--
Paul C