Old May 14th 06, 02:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default PAYG and Ken on news

On Sun, 14 May 2006 02:20:43 +0100, Barry Salter wrote:
If both "fares" can coexist on the same line, then I don't see why the
eventual introduction of PAYG on all London NR stations would necessarily
mean that CDR would *HAVE* to disappear on these lines.

Because you'd still be in the same situation that we're in now, whereby
some journeys will still be cheaper by purchasing a paper ticket (which,
of course, won't count towards your Oyster cap).

I don't see why that's a huge problem. If you weren't sure how many
journeys you were going to make in a day (i.e. whether you were going
to reach a cap), you might have to choose between a paper
single/return and the daily cap, and if you get it wrong possibly pay
more than you might have done, but that's no worse than how it's been
for decades (and still is in many parts of the country).

If CDRs were withdrawn then you'd be even worse off, as you wouldn't
even have the choice of getting one and possibly saving money.

Except it would be magnified, because you could then hit the cap on
other journeys, and your Oyster would be valid over the section you've
got a paper ticket for, which'd be a right mess from a charging point of
view.

Err, why?