Old September 21st 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Crossrail a poor buy?

Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:31:30 +0000, Cast_Iron wrote:
So by that argument high wage earners in London payting higher
a\mounts of income and other taxes shouldn't contribute to the
unemployed of other parts of the UK?

No. Tax is evil, social security is evil, and subsidising rail is
evil.

We live in a society where we all pay in to a central pot and
everyone benefits from that central pot.

And that society is wrong

So what society would you think is right? One where the poor starve,
the sick die and the rich get richer?

On a different theme, why is building a new railway "subsidy" and
a road "investement"? They're both for the same purpose.

Except car drivers pay £30bn a year in taxes through Car tax and
petrol tax, yet only see £5bn investment in roads.

Probably partly because there are lots of other costs caused by cars,
for example pollution, illness (asthma etc.) and injury (accidents
etc.).

In reality
train users should be paying something like £150pw for a travel
card for zone 1 alone.

And you think that making public transport inaccessible to the vast
majority of people would be a good thing? Do you think it would somehow
benefit society?

--
message by Robin May, consumer of liquids
If bathroom means toilet in America, I'll have a shower please.

Hacker is to computer as boy racer is to Ford Escort.