Old September 21st 03, 04:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael Bell Michael Bell is offline

Default Crossrail a poor buy?

In article , Steve
wrote:

[snip]

If taxpayers do have to subsidise it, it should come out the local
taxes of London business and commuters.

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that Londoners massively
subsidise the rest of the UK with their tax outlay - something that
Ken is always quick to highlight.

Crossrail would only go a small way to redress the huge historic
inbalance.

Perhaps London should go independent and keep all our tax revenue to
ourselves - then you'd be sorry!

While this is true in pure numbers terms, the wealth of this country that
Londoner's pay themselves for (mis)managing was never generated in London.

There has been a series of articles in the Guardian newspaper recently
on this topic (all available on the Guardian web site, so you can look
at it), and the conclusion is that London does get slightly more money
spent on it per head than the rest of the country, but that's not the
question I asked, which is, "Is it true that Crossrail has been judged
Poor Value for Money? And on what grounds?"

--

Michael Bell