Old May 22nd 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris Johns Chris Johns is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

On Mon, 22 May 2006, John B wrote:

4) Trams are good. Having ticket machines onboard is a brilliant idea
and I wish TfL would add them to the bendybuses. Overall (and
uncontroversially), Amsterdam's public transport system is one of the
best I've ever used. Haven't tried the underground, though.

Not sure what ticket machine setup they have there, or you'd want for
London. First in York have put machines in the new bendy bus, sorry i mean
'ftr'.

Now everyone queues in the rain while people in front buy a ticket from
said machine and go sit down - it was quicker with the pay the driver
system. The only times it works is when the machine is broken .. which is
quite often so far

I did hope the ticket machine would enable faster boarding, and people
would get on and buy their tickets on the move. I guess the HSE wouldn't
allow things like that, people not in their seats while the bus is on the
move.

Bring back the conductors! Apart from speeding up journeys, they can bring
in some "heavy duty" ones for late night busses for example.

Cheers

Chris
--
Chris Johns