Old May 22nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

On 22 May 2006 14:56:43 GMT, (Rian van der Borgt)
wrote:

On 22 May 2006 06:15:55 -0700, John B wrote:
2) BA to Schiphol. An hour late arriving. Surly service, no apology for
delays. I wish through tickets on the E* and Thalys didn't cost
£300...

Eurostar tickets NL-UK start from around 100 euros. I'm sure there must
be something comparable the other way around.

I'm sure there is but try finding it. Rail Europe's site is singularly
unhelpful - it quoted me a fare of almost £500 for a First Class return
to Amsterdam as apparently only business fares are available. I know
this to be incorrect but there are no options for a first class leisure
fare.

The other issue is that you can get to Brussels but Thalys is often full
and it is impossible (IME) to get a ticket covering the slower service
to Amsterdam via Eurostar's site.

I'd much rather do the journey by train but the whole system is so
unfriendly that I won't put myself through the needless complexity. The
only people who lose are Eurostar, Dutch Railways and the tourist
industry in Holland - I'll go on holiday somewhere else.
--
Paul C