Old May 22nd 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

Roland Perry wrote:

I agree that the ticket machines are unfriendly in terms of payment
method. But they *do* have instructions in English to get a ticket to
Centraal/Schiphol - that's a lot better than most systems; does a LUL
ticket machine at Heathrow have instructions in Dutch??

No, but there are a lot more people flying into Schiphol who don't
speak Dutch than are flying into Heathrow and don't speak English.
However, I agree that the UK is poor in its provision for foreign
languages and should improve it (except for some odd reason mid-1980s
BR - most stickers on the Sprinters are in English, French, German and
some sort of Chinese/Japanese).

Notices about the penalty fare (EUR35) are entirely absent - at least
English ones are, I can't read the Dutch signs.

When I was last there I saw none in Dutch either (I can read it
acceptably from knowledge of German and French).

Neil