Old May 23rd 06, 09:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

allan tracy wrote:

It's because there is quite a lot of consumer resistance to credit
cards especially in Germany where it's a cultural thing to not like
them.

Looking at German banks' websites, I don't think I'd have one over
there. The charges (including annual charges, which are now pretty
much unknown over here) are extortionate, and the interest rates poor.

Over here, of course, we eat them.

Indeed. They can be very useful for such things as interest-free loans
(on 0% cards) and consumer protection. I use mine extensively, but
apart from 400 quid on a 0% card which I'm planning to have paid off
before the 0% period ends I always pay at the end of the month, and
thus never incur interest charges.

They are also useful for delaying payment while an expense claim is
paid, and for spending abroad (with the noted exceptions).

Neil