Old May 23rd 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Rian van der Borgt Rian van der Borgt is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

On 23 May 2006 07:22:21 -0700, Neil Williams wrote:
Rian van der Borgt wrote:
No, there's always at least one machine that accepts cash. Stations with
only one ticket machine have the old version - these will be replaced by
the newer touch screen machines that accept both cash and cards.
Note that not all tickets can be bought with cash; I believe they take a
maximum of 15 coins...

That is really rather poor. I don't see how they can justify penalty
fares in that situation, especially given that they don't accept notes
either.

I agree completely. A lot of ticket inspectors too. I have read reports
of inspectors feeling embarrassed that they had to issue a penalty fare
to tourists who could not buy a ticket at the ticket machine (ticket
window closed, ticket too expensive for coins, (credit) cards not
accepted, etc.).

Regards,

Rian

--