Old May 23rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] chtfj21@ml1.net is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

John Ray wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
allan tracy wrote:

It's because there is quite a lot of consumer resistance to credit
cards especially in Germany where it's a cultural thing to not like
them.

Looking at German banks' websites, I don't think I'd have one over
there. The charges (including annual charges, which are now pretty
much unknown over here) are extortionate, and the interest rates poor.

It's not just German banks, or credit cards for that matter. Credit
Lyonnais charges 26 Euros a year for a debit card.

--
John Ray

I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and levels
of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange rate.

My german bank account costs about £2 a month, but Euro-transactions
are free AND work online, as are many other extras for which British
banks charge you through the nose.

In the end both end up costing about the same.

There is no need to own a credit card in Germany. Debit card works
fine.

Having said that, deutsche bahn used to take credit card only for its
online tickets. Don't know if they've changed their policy.