Old May 23rd 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graeme Wall Graeme Wall is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

In message
(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:09:23 +0100, Graeme Wall wrote:
(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:
On 23 May 2006 11:47:55 -0700, wrote:
I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and
levels of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange
rate.

...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

It's really the EU. You may want to check EU documentation, e.g.:
http://europa.eu.int/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/03/140&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Providing the two accounts concerned are both Euro accounts, so effectively
in the Eurozone. It is not easy to get a Euro account in a British High
Street bank.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.