Old May 23rd 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Ebbens Paul Ebbens is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
In message
(Rian van der Borgt) wrote:

On 23 May 2006 11:47:55 -0700, wrote:
I don't think banks on the continent are better or worse than British
banks, they only have a different way of making their money, and levels
of service are often better.

Yes, my bank account at NatWest is free, but take an example: for
Euro-transactions they charge a hefty £10 on top of the exchange rate.

...which I doubt is legal. Transactions in euro within the EU should
have the same costs as domestic transfers.

No, within the Eurozone

How does the bank justify these costs?

We are not in the Eurozone.

[snip]

I think you'll find it applies to all EU member states on this particular
matter -- hence why IBAN/BIC codes are "slowly" being introduced onto all
statements (I had never ever seen them before LloydsTSB put them on the
statements... not a single word from them to explain to anyone what they're
for) but even having these codes.. it only allows Inward transactions you
still have to run about trying to get a natural transfer of money, why isn't
it the same as a "foreign" exchange in cash? Ah well if they want to loose
customers they're doing the right things. Who does Euro accounts in UK, cos
then I'll be saved...