Old September 22nd 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stevie Stevie is offline

Default "le crossing" A question

Andrew wrote:
"Phil Richards" wrote in message
Do they not take debit or credit cards?

I'd have thought not, as they'd slow the tolls down too much, although I
could be wrong. Last time I went through (last autumn) most of the lanes
were the sort with a big hoper to throw coins into.

Thinking about it though, once chip and pin cards are introduced in this
country it could be easy to introduce an automated payment system which
would not require signatures but the entry of a pin no.

Why would they need a signature now? Whenever you buy a train ticket at
a self-service machine you don't sign for anything - they just spit the
card out and give you a receipt. Couldn't they just do that at the
crossing?