Old May 24th 06, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Robin Mayes Robin Mayes is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

Arthur Figgis wrote:

On Tue, 23 May 2006 08:54:16 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 00:01:40 on Tue,
23 May 2006, Peter Smyth remarked:
While I don't think they can manage Dutch, the touchscreen ticket
machines at most LU stations do have a choice of half a dozen or so
different languages.

I hadn't noticed that. Will give it a try next time I'm in London.

One snag with multi-lingual machines is that they will say "welcome to
our lovely railway" in half a dozen languages, but the ticket types
will only be given in the local language, so you still need to know
the words for things like adult, child, single, return, railcard
discount, HappyWeekendApexValue(TM) ticket.

I think you will find the LUL touchscreen ticket machines have the different
ticket types in the language selected.

Or they will sell zonal tickets, but there will be no maps of the
zones, as locals are assumed to know.

Again, LUL touchscreen ticket machines have a zonal map stuck to them.