Old May 31st 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Some better, some worse - Amsterdam

Tim Fenton wrote:

ClogRail usually runs OK, but when things go awry, everything can go tits up
just as badly as elsewhere.

Possibly more so. Staffing is quite low, and PIS is designed to show
particular destinations only on trains that they expect you to take to
get there. Thus, for example, a few weekends ago I (and a group of
Explorer Scouts) wanted to go from Utrecht to Schiphol at
god-knows-what in the morning during engineering works. The ICs that'd
normally ply that route were off, and so the Stoptrein was the only
choice (replacement buses didn't start until later in the day). Its
Solari display didn't mention Schiphol despite my information saying
that it was going there. At the next station, served only by the
Stoptrein, it did.

One would normally put this down to a limitation of the Solari display
which makes it impractical to change it for engineering work purposes,
but the newer matrix displays that are appearing suffer the same
problem, as they've just implemented the old format using those. One
of our group (who isn't to my knowledge interested in railways at all)
suggested scrolling LED displays - maybe we *are* doing something right
over here...

Neil