Old June 2nd 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Wood Bob Wood is offline

Default Access to Heathrow this weekend and next

Richard J. wrote:

I asked LU why Travelcards weren't valid on HEx and HC for these two
weekends in June. The answer, according to them, is that because of
Network Rail engineering work, there are only two tracks available
into Paddington on these weekends, which means that HEx services with
be "unreliable" (LU's word) and subject to extended intervals. HEx
weren't prepared to take the risk of a service suspension while they
had lots of additional LU passengers on their trains. There would be
"huge cost" in rescheduling either the LU or NR engineering work.
Hence the bus service between Acton Town and North Acton was seen as
the next best option.

Curiously there is nothing on the National Rail site about this
engineering work, but I know from having booked tickets for the second
weekend that there are extended journey times between Reading and
Paddington, so something is evidently happening.

It *is* mentioned on the FGW website, but as far as I can see it only
applies to the Sundays.

--
Bob