Old September 23rd 03, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Steve is offline

Default Crossrail a poor buy?

Michael Bell wrote in
:

In article , Steve
wrote:
Michael Bell wrote in
:

In article , Steve
wrote:

[snip]

If taxpayers do have to subsidise it, it should come out the
local taxes of London business and commuters.

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that Londoners massively
subsidise the rest of the UK with their tax outlay - something
that Ken is always quick to highlight.

Crossrail would only go a small way to redress the huge historic
inbalance.

Perhaps London should go independent and keep all our tax
revenue to ourselves - then you'd be sorry!

While this is true in pure numbers terms, the wealth of this
country that Londoner's pay themselves for (mis)managing was never
generated in London.

There has been a series of articles in the Guardian newspaper
recently on this topic (all available on the Guardian web site, so
you can look at it), and the conclusion is that London does get
slightly more money spent on it per head than the rest of the
country, but that's not the question I asked, which is, "Is it true
that Crossrail has been judged Poor Value for Money? And on what
grounds?"

Sure but this is usenet and besides, my post was about whether,
despite London 'generating' more wealth than the rest of the country,
that wealth really belongs to London. Now please keep up :-)

That's a separate question, explain what you mean by "Despite
London 'generating' more wealth than the rest of the country, does
that wealth really belongs to London?" How do you determine "generate"
and "belong"?

'generating more 'wealth' - Tax revenues from economic activities within
the region. Belong - as in people claiming that said revenue is subsidising
the rest of the country - said people imply that it is their money, hence
belong.

My argument against is thus, this so called 'wealth' is simply commision
from buying an selling the fruits other others labour, historically this
was merchandise, now it is mostly holding our pension funds while taking a
percentage per annuum. A small percentage of what they take is returned to
the state, it is a percentage of this that certain posters are complaining
about being returns to the rest of the country.

Michael Bell

. --